Launched in early November, Bitdefender BOX 2 is a smart security hub that protects all internet-connected devices in the user’s digital life, whether at home or on the go.
“With Bitdefender BOX 2 you will have complete, multi-layered cyber-security for your computers, smartphones, tablets, baby monitors, game consoles, smart TVs, washing machines, oven hubs; in fact, everything that’s connected in your household. It is simple to implement and lets users control all connected devices from a single app. By employing machine-learning algorithms and intrusion prevention systems, it quickly identifies new threats and unsafe behaviour and keeps smart homes safe,” says Simon Campbell-Young of Cyber Security South Africa (CSSA) – the local Bitdefender Country Partner.
The Bitdefender BOX 2 subscription includes Bitdefender Total Security and allows users to install the security software on Windows, Mac OS, Android and iOS devices. Bitdefender Total Security is recommended for devices that may leave the home network and need to stay protected on the go. It also protects computers that may become infected with viruses via USB sticks or other storage devices.
“Bitdefender BOX 2 can be managed from the Bitdefender Central mobile application installed on your smartphone, iOS 9 or newer and Android 5.0 or later. Along with the firmware updates, the Bitdefender Central application is also updated regularly. All these updates are included in the BOX 2 subscription,” says Campbell-Young. Some of the features included in Bitdefender BOX 2 are:
- Detects vulnerabilities. Bitdefender BOX 2 checks all smart devices in the home to give users details about device faults and provides advice on how they can be secured.
- Prevents exploitation. It can identify and stop an attack exploiting a weak spot on a home router or a smart device in the home, even if the vendor has yet to address the problem.
- Protects against brute-force attacks. Hackers can guess a user’s credentials for accessing a device by automatically running possible combinations of usernames and passwords. Bitdefender BOX 2 protects against this by limiting failed attempts and, when the ceiling is reached, halting automated probing, known as brute force attacks.
- Detects anomalies. Bitdefender BOX 2 analyses the normal behaviour of a smart device and records it. Any deviation is automatically flagged as suspicious; blocked and reported to the user as a possible sign of hacking.
- Blocks malware-infected websites. Bitdefender BOX 2 identifies websites containing malware as soon as a user visits them. It uses a large database of unsafe links and blocks access to all of them, showing the user an alert that the page has been blacklisted.
- Identifies phishing and fraud attempts. When a user lands on an illegitimate page that impersonates a legitimate one to lure users and steal their credentials, Bitdefender BOX 2 blocks it automatically.
- Protects sensitive data. Bitdefender BOX 2 informs a user whether a page that asks for sensitive details (passwords, payment card information) is using a secured, encrypted connection. It stops users from sending sensitive data over an insecure connection and explains the reason for the action.
- Detects and protects new devices in the smart home. As additional smart devices are added to a home, Bitdefender BOX 2 automatically detects and protects all of them.
- Includes a Parental Control feature. Bitdefender BOX 2 boasts an advanced parental control solution that lets users easily manage the time their children spend on the internet each day and gives one a simple way to interrupt online access completely.
“Bitdefender BOX 2 is a subscription-based product and the first purchase includes a one-year subscription that allows installation of Bitdefender BOX 2 onto an unlimited number of devices. After the first year, the subscription costs approximately R1600 a year. Bitdefender BOX 2 is available from our existing resellers and retailers countrywide," says Campbell-Young.